Very rare crested specimen of Opuntia ‘Santa Rita’ purple prickly pear cactus. This listing is for one gorgeous rooted Opuntia ‘Santa Rita’ cactus pad. Important: the last three pictures of the mature mother plant for reference only, the pad for sale is from that specific plant.
This listing is for one real live rooted cactus pad, currently growing in a 6” pot..
This cactus can grow quickly, especially when planted in ground. If planted in a container, the cactus size will be more contained. Pads can be removed to start new plants or keep cactus pruned.
This rare cactus plant turns a deep purple in cold temperatures or extensive sun exposure. Great potted plants, even here in the Southwest.
Handling tips: Wet the pad before planting (keeps the tiny hair-like prickers from flying) and use kitchen tongs - with rubber covers over the tips - to handle the pads without scarring them while repotting.
Peak growth season; Summer
Propagation: Take cuttings during growth season, Spring is ideal. Pot on a warm, sunny day.
Water when soil is dry to the touch. Will require more water in the Summer.
Your succulent will be wrapped with care and shipped with extra padding in the box. Plants can take 1-5 days to prep for shipping and weather can impact the prep time. We ship as quickly as is safe for your plant.
If you will be experiencing below freezing temperatures, please add a heat pack to your order.
SUCCULENT CARE TIPS
Succulents are amazing plants that can bring color and joy to your home and landscape. They are relatively easy-care plants, making them ideal plants for beginners and enthusiasts alike. Succulents need a lot less water than other plants, because they hold so much water in their leaves.
Speaking of water - water is the most dangerous thing to your succulent plant. More succulents die from overwatering than underwatering. A couple tips to help:
• The chubbier the leaves, the less water it will need (chubbier leaves hold more water).
• Succulents can rebound from underwatering much easier than overwatering.
• Always make sure you use a well-draining potting soil and a pot with at least one drainage hole.
• Always make sure the soil is dry to the touch before watering.
What to watch for as you go through the seasons with your new plant:
*Disclaimer: these are general tips, you do need to get to know your plants and acclimate them to your own environment.
• Wrinkled and/or deflated leaves = plant needs water
• Mushy, yellowing or black leaves = plant needs less water (if leaves are really mushy, remove from pot and place in good ventilation to expedite drying out)
• Little fuzzy web-like white balls = mealy bugs
• Little round flat scab-like brown patches that wipe off easily = scale bugs
**If you see bugs you can start to control them by spraying with diluted isopropyl rubbing alcohol. First remove your succulent from direct sun and do not spray too close (recommend 6" away), saturate the base of the leaves and stem and leave in good air circulation to allow alcohol to evaporate. Retreat 24 hours later.
Air circulation and adequate light are important for your succulents to thrive.
Materials: purple cactus, plant cutting, succulent, opuntia, plant pot, sand, cactus soil, cactus pads.
Hi and welcome! We hope to add some plant joy to your life!
**Pease read the info below before placing your first order.**
- Live plants take 1-3 days to prepare for shipping.
- Pots, Cuttings, and Hoya ship next business day.
- We are currently shipping Monday-Friday.
- It is safe to ship in winter, we do recommend adding a heat pack if you are experiencing extended freezing temperatures. This protects your plants and ensures they are guaranteed.
Priority Mail is recommended for all live plant shipments and especially all Hoya shipments. It is faster and guaranteed (see below). Orders that qualify for free shipping ship via Priority Mail.
USPS First Class mail is currently experiencing delays, including tracking issues, taking up to ten days in some cases, and is not guaranteed.❗️
We guarantee your plants will arrive happy and healthy when:
- You select Priority Mail - or - qualify for free shipping (these orders are shipped via Priority Mail).
- Add a heat pack for cold climates November - March.
- Contact us within 48 hours of plant arrival at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attach pictures of the plants, including close ups and entire plant.
After 48 hours, the plants are considered accepted as healthy and in your care.
HOW WE SHIP LIVE PLANTS
Each plant is:
• Hand-selected and inspected to guarantee the highest quality.
• Individually wrapped.
• Labeled to help you keep track of the plant names.
• Has Care instructions included in every box.
AND...make sure you look for your surprise when unpacking your succulent plant mail.
Your plants will arrive happy and healthy and if they don't, just contact us within 48 hours of purchase (include pictures of the trouble areas).
BARE ROOT SHIPPING
Many of our plants ship bare root. If it's optimal for the plant to ship in a pot, or a pot is included in the listing, this will be specified in the listing.
Cancellation requests must be received within 6 hours of purchase. No exceptions; this is because these are live plants that get pulled and prepped for shipping almost immediately.
We are currently ship Mondays-Friday, unless by special request.
*If you prefer we not ship Thursday/Friday (to prevent extra days in the box), please notify us.
UNWRAPPING LIVE PLANTS
Unwrap your plants carefully, succulents easily drop their leaves, it's easy to break branches in the excitement of opening plant mail. Some damaged or broken leaves or branches can occur during shipping. This does not effect the overall health of the plant.
!!PLANT DAMAGE OR HEALTH CONCERNS!!
If your plant was extremely damaged due to shipping or if your plant arrives unhealthy, please contact us within 48 hours of plant arrival and send pics of all of the following:
-the damaged plant
-the box condition
-the shipping label
We will do what we can to make it right. *Your plants are guaranteed if you select Priority Mail (and heat packs in the cold/winter months).
HOW YOUR PLANT LOOKS
We can not guarantee that your plant will be in bloom or display the same colors as those pictured. Please allow for some variance amongst live plants. Coloration is determined by individual plant, season, environment and/or care conditions (and even your computer monitor can effect appearance of plants in pictures). Note that our photos were also take under ideal natural lighting conditions.
Carefully check the shipping address you have selected before placing your order. We ship to the shipping address provided. We cannot be responsible for errors or wrong shipping addresses provided with the order.
**Shipping costs are determined by weight and plant size. We do everything we can to keep shipping costs to a minimum for you, ensure our item weight and sizes are correct, and combine for you whenever possible.
*heat packs are available as a separate product.
Please note we cannot guarantee plant identifications. We give our best effort at accuracy.
Thank you so much for checking out our little family shop!!